The Medieval City of Châteaubriant
A town with such a rich past
Châteaubriant was built bit by bit from the castle to the Church of Béré. At the foot of the medieval fortress lies the heart of the old town with its half-timbered houses, corbels, towers, wall-walks, narrow streets, alleys and its 18th century buildings, which will tell you about the history of this City that has retained the contours of a walled town at the foot of the stronghold belonging to the Brients.
The Grande Rue, separated from its extension, Rue de Couëré, by the magnificent wooden Covered Market, was until 1865 the main road in this medieval city.
The construction of the Hôtel de Ville (Town Hall) in 1850, the Eglise Saint-Nicolas (Church of Saint Nicholas) in 1875, the cutting through for the Rue de l’Hôtel de Ville (1850 – 1870) and the arrival of the Railway (1877) would transform the appearance of this town with such a rich past.
Guided tours :
For individuals :
Summer season – Free
Audio-guide and touch pad on request
For groups :
Guided-tour on booking : 3€/person until 50 people
Group of a minimum of 15 people
Mobility impairment: Partially accessible.
Accompaniment routinely recommended (slopes, uneven ground).
Intercommunal Tourist Office Châteaubriant Derval
29 Place Charles de Gaulle – BP 203
44146 Châteaubriant Cedex, France
Tel. +33 (0)2 40 28 20 90